Did you know that raw Cacao is actually good for you? It is high in vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, zinc, iron, calcium and beta-carotene, helping us with our mood, hormones, energy and optimal health.
Other benefits for the mood – also contains anandamide, a natural euphoric compound and tryptophan, a natural anti-depressant. What more can you want!
This recipe was a decadent cake made for my loved one on Valentines but really its also appropriate if you feel you need a treat. A bonus that’s it gluten and dairy free and tastes delicious.
Olive oil (spray)
4 large eggs
½ cup of honey
1 tablespoon of Organic vanilla bean paste (I used ‘Queen’)
1 cup blanched finely ground almond flour
½ cup raw cacao powder
½ tsp Maldon sea salt flakes
½ baking soda
3 squares of Lindt chocolate 85% (broken up for chunks
Topping (not necessary but definitely decadent)
200g grass fed organic unsalted butter (softened) or if dairy free use nuttelex
2 ½ cups icing sugar
½ Raw cacao powder
¼ cup milk OR mylk (any)
1 cup of organic raspberries (I used the frozen brand – Oob, defrosted)
- Preheat oven to 160deg Celcius
- Line tin with olive oil and then line with baking paper to avoid cake sticking to tin
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, honey and vanilla extract
- Slowing adding in almond flour and cacao powder until mixed well
- Then add in the salt and baking soda.
- Pour the batter into pan. Drop the chunks of chocolate in wherever you desire across the cake.
- Bake for 30-35mins. The cake will be ready when you can pierce the centre with a knife and it comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a cooling rack for about 30minutes. Option to serve it as is or add icing and raspberries
Optional Icing and Topping
- Mix icing sugar, butter, cacao powder and milk together until smooth
- Place icing onto Cake
- Sprinkle raspberries on to top