What’s good about it?
A fun way to share Christmas treats that are gluten and 99% lactose/ casein free. Buckwheat flour was chosen for its nutty flavor and ghee because it has nearly all of the lactose and casein removed. Rapadura sugar is an unbleached and unrefined cane sugar, high in essential minerals which adds a caramel flavor profile to this recipe.
Time it takes to cook: 30-45 Minutes (Makes approximately 25 cookies)
2 cups Buckwheat flour
6 tbs Coconut flour
5 tbs Organic honey
5 tbs of Ghee (room temperature)
1 cup Rapadura or Coconut sugar
1 Egg white
4.5 tbs Date Syrup (exchange for more honey if preferred)
1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
1 tbs Ground Ginger
¾ tsp Nutmeg
½ tsp Organic Cinnamon
¼ tsp Ground Clove
2 pinch Ground rock salt
5 tbs Water
Icing Sugar – (omit if you want less sugar)
1cup Icing Sugar
1 Egg White
- Mix together Ghee and Rapadura sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix all other ingredients until combined.
- Combine both mixtures together until dough forms.
- Press out into a flattened ball and wrap in cling wrap. Freeze for minimum 1 hour.
- Roll out dough between two pieces of baking powder to 0.5cm thick.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all the dough is used.
- Place shapes onto baking paper and bake at 170degrees Celsius in a fan forced oven for 14 minutes (or 17mins in a non- fan forced oven).
- If choosing to decorate, prepare icing by whisking the egg white until frothy and then gradually folding in icing sugar and whisking until smooth consistency.
- Wait for cookies to cool.
- Add icing sugar to a piping bag or zip lock bag and snip off one corner and decorate. Allow to set for 1 hour before storing.